From 10:00 am until Noon
At Zoom Meeting
$120.00 - $128.00
Welcome, beginning knitters! What a good time to pick up a new craft, or get a refresher on the meditative, comforting art of knitting.
Lorilee has designed a beginning project called “Brick and Mortar”. With this project, you’ll be building your skills and joining the community of knitters at Bazaar Girls, a brick and mortar shop.
During our live Zoom classes, Lorilee will start you at the beginning: casting on, and then answer all your questions as you proceed. At the end, you’ll have the choice of seaming your fancy little squares into mitts to keep your hands warm or shrinking your square into a felted coaster. Either way, you win.
You will learn:
- A bit about yarn weights and types;
- A bit about needle sizes and types;
- An explanation about gauge;
- Knitting abbreviations;
- Casting on using the long tail method;
- How to make a knit stitch with two styles to choose from—English method or Continental method;
- Garter stitch fabric;
- Incorporated I-cord edge;
- Slip stitch;
- Changing colors and making stripes;
- Keeping track of where you are by reading your knitting;
- Following a pattern;
- A bit of knitting etiquette;
- The importance of the knitting community;
- A mini-introduction to reading knitting charts;
- Weaving in yarn ends;
- Felting, or shrinking something on purpose;
- How to care for and wash your knitting without felting it.
Included with your kit:
- Yarn. Two 50-gram balls of Blue Sky Woolstok, one each of two different colors. The knitter may choose which is the main color, and which is the contrast color. There is enough yarn to make the class project (two mitts or two felted coasters) in class; then after class, you’ll have enough yarn to make them again reversing the color scheme;
- Needle: One 24-inch long circular needle size US 6 (4.0 mm);
- Blunt-tip tapestry needle for sewing up the edge;
- Locking stitch markers. Two are needed, one each of two different colors;
- Pattern and class handout, which is included in your registration fee.
· Pick up kit in the shop: $120
· Mail kit via USPS: $128.
Class fee includes yarn for two hand-warmers, pattern, needles, and instruction.
Pair this with the beginning knitting book, "Stitch and Bitch" by Debbie Stoller (available in the shop) for the perfect gift.
NOTE: After you have registered, we’ll be in touch with you so you can choose your yarn colors, and give an address if the kit is to be mailed.
Lorilee happily sees no end to where knitting curiosity can take you, and she loves to help knitters make new discoveries. For the past 10 years, she has enjoyed her students at national events, and she looks forward to meeting you in class. Lorilee packs her classes with content and lots of extra tips you can really use and is patient with every student. Her articles and designs have been published in books, magazines, and online mags. She is a Knit Star teacher, the former techniques columnist at Knitty, and an online instructor at Interweave and at Craftsy.
Tent-camping with her husband and boys has taken Lorilee to over 20 National Parks. Lorilee grew up in Pittsburgh, spent 30 years in west Michigan, and now calls Edmonds, Washington home. For more about Lorilee, go to lorileebeltman.com or Instagram @lorilee.beltman