At Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop & Bishop Hotel
126 Quincy St.
Made to Measure Sweater Workshop with
Jeane deCoster of Elemental Affects
Friday, January 10 - Sunday, January 12
The workshop begins Friday, January 10 with a reception at Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop. "What Not to Knit", 5-8 p.m. (For those not registered in the "Made to Measure" workshop, you may drop in to Jeane's presentation of "What not to Knit" Friday evening for $20.)
During our reception, Jeane will help you answer the question: What makes a successful garment?
You bring: 1-2 garments (any top: blouse, coat, jacket, sweater) that you like; and 1-2 garments (top) that you don’t like or that you think do not flatter you. Especially useful: sweaters or other knitted items that didn’t turn out well, don’t look good on you, or that you just plain do not like.
Jeane will help you see what makes a successful garment, how some garments create balance and some create imbalance, drawing attention to assets that are, let’s say, best left unnoticed. As Jeane says, “No matter what shape you are, balance is within your control.”
The "Made to Measure Sweater Workshop" is
Saturday & Sunday, January 11 & 12 from 10 - 4 pm ~ at the Bishop Hotel
Jeane deCoster, lifelong friend of the store and honorary Bazaar Girl, will be teaching a “Made to Measure” workshop that will help you to make garments that fit and flatter. No more too-long sleeves, bunchy, unflattering mysterious things at the bust, or unpleasant tightness through the back. Students will learn how to use Jeane’s system, and get started on knitting a sweater in Elemental Affects Cormo (sport, fingering or worsted weight) or Romney Heirloom (worsted weight), available in the shop.
Workshop is $140 plus materials and includes:
- Friday's reception at Bazaar Girls
- Two days of instruction, knitting, camaraderie and fun
- Yarn for swatching (stop by the shop to pick yours up after you register)
- Copy of $28 pattern, with instructions and help in filling out the pattern
- Custom measurements with Jeane to make sure your sweater will fit perfectly
- Seaming & finishing demos and hands-on opportunities
- Local Knit-A-Long at Bazaar Girls to help you finish your sweater.
Students will need:
- Notebook, pen, mug for tea or coffee.
- You will need to knit a 6x6” swatch ahead of time, in the weight of your chosen yarn. We have free swatching yarn in the shop; stop by after you’ve registered and pick up a ball. If you can’t get in to the store to pick up your free swatching yarn, give us a call. We’ll figure something out. (Or you can plan to be busy swatching away on Friday night!)
Materials: Jeane is gifting her time as a favor to the store, so in order to show some love, we’re asking you to knit your garment from Elemental Affects Cormo or Romney (available at Bazaar Girls). You can look at the colors for these divine yarns on the Elemental Affects website elementalaffects.com. If you see a color online that we do not carry in the shop, please contact us at email@example.com before January 5, and we’ll do our best to get you the yarn you want, as supplies permit. Also, please bring the usual knitting doo-dads, scissors, and needles appropriate to your choice of yarn.